Friday 24 June 2011

Something not so French...

Well I thought the day would never come but it has...

yes my dear friends, I have decided to paint my first british infantry unit. Although I never planned to paint any British, I had this box of Perry british in my "to be painted" list and since I was beginning to feel a bit tired after all those blue coats I decided to paint them

Instead of going for my usual 3 layer painting technique however, I decided to try my luck at "dipping" them since I wanted to speed paint them.

The results were quite good and I have to say that the army painter dip works really well with warm colours  like red and brown so it worked well for peninsular British. Perhaps it would look good for Russians or Austrians too but certainly not for the French and Prussians!

To make things easier for me I didnt glue the heads and back packs since I wanted to undercoat them black:

heads are stuck with blu-tack
The main bodies were spray coated white:

 After blocking the main colours I just dipped the figures and when the dip was dry I gave them a coat of matt varnish (applied with a brush).

The results as you can see are quite good! It took me about two hours to paint and dip 6 figures!
I highly suggest this method to busy people who dont really have a lot of time to paint (thats you Rodney!)


almost there...only the flank companies left...



Hope you like them!

4 comments:

  1. Great results! Do you dip them or paint it on? I prefer painting as it's easier to control the amount.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very impressive, they look great.

    I also paint packs separately, and attach at the end.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A very nice looking unit. Well done.

    ReplyDelete